During Thanksgiving, winter and spring break, the only residential area open is the Bates Complex. Students that wish to live at Bates must either; already have a room in the complex, must find a host apartment that is willing to allow them to stay in their apartment, or may be placed by residence life in previously designated spaces. If a student chooses a host apartment, all apartment-mates must also give permission for the student to stay in that apartment. The process for obtaining permission to stay is outlined in the respective applications below.
There is a cost associated with staying at the Bates Complex during breaks, as outlined in the application materials. This cost will be applied directly to a student's account.
On-Campus Thanksgiving Break Housing
The following information is concerning the Thanksgiving break closing. Any questions regarding this information should be directed to your resident director.
The break housing application is available on October 20, 2014
All residence halls close on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 5 pm
All residence halls reopen on Sunday, November 30, 2014 at 12 pm
- The residential areas are closed for all major university recesses. The only residential area that remains open is the Bates Complex. The fee to stay at the Bates Complex during Thanksgiving break (Tuesday, November 25, 2014 through Saturday, November 29, 2014) is $225. There is no daily rate for Thanksgiving break.
- The application for break housing begins on October 20, 2014 and it can be found below, at the residence life office located in Atlantic Hall, and at each front desk. All applications must be submitted to the residence life office no later than Tuesday, November 11, 2014 on or before 5 pm. Applications may be dropped off at the Bates Complex office or at residence life.
- Approved students who live at Bates will be able to stay in their room during vacation time.
- Approved students who do not reside at the Bates Complex may choose to stay in a friend’s apartment with signed permission from all members of that apartment or they will be assigned an open available space.
- Approved students will be notified and will be responsible for picking up their passkey(s) and signing a key agreement on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at the Bates office from 12 pm and 2 pm for Thanksgiving break housing. Current Bates residents will be required to exchange their current entryway key in order to receive a passkey.
- You must return your passkey to the Bates office on Sunday, November 30, 2014 between 8 am and 12 pm. Failure to do so by this date will result in a $25 charge.
- Since there will be limited staff available, you must take responsibility for ensuring that safety measures are maintained. Rear doors are alarmed and when opened and will signal university police. Propping the front entryway doors may result in all students from that particular entryway being removed from break housing. THIS IS STRICTLY ENFORCED. Therefore, please lock your door and carry your keys at all times.
- No large gatherings are allowed during vacation.
Applications for Thanksgiving break housing are due by Tuesday, November 11, 2014 to Bates Complex assistant/resident director or residence life.