During Thanksgiving, winter and spring breaks, the only residential area open is Bates Complex. Students that wish to live at Bates Complex must either; already have a room in the complex, must find a host apartment that is willing to allow them to stay in their apartment, or may be placed by residence life in previously designated spaces. If a student chooses a host apartment, all apartment-mates must also give permission for the student to stay in that apartment. The process for obtaining permission to stay is outlined in the respective applications below.
There is a cost associated with staying at Bates Complex during breaks, as outlined in the application materials. This cost will be applied directly to a student's account.
On-Campus Winter Break Housing
The following information is concerning the winter break closing. Any questions regarding this information should be directed to your resident director.
THE BREAK HOUSING APPLICATION IS AVAILABLE ON NOVEMBER 25, 2014
ALL RESIDENCE HALLS CLOSE ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 22, 2014 AT 5 PM
ALL RESIDENCE HALLS REOPEN ON SUNDAY, JANUARY 18, 2015 AT 12 PM
- The residential areas are closed for all major university recesses. The only residential area that remains open is Bates Complex. The fee to stay at Bates Complex during winter break (Monday, December 22, 2014 through Sunday, January 18, 2015) is $175 per week. There is no daily rate for winter break.
- The application for break housing begins on November 25, 2014 and it can be found below, at the residence life office located in Atlantic Hall, and at each front desk. All applications must be submitted to the residence life office no later than Monday, December 15, 2014 at 5 pm. Applications may be dropped off at the Bates Complex resident director office or at the residence life office.
- Approved students who live at Bates Complex will be able to stay in their room during vacation time.
- Approved students who do not reside at Bates Complex may choose to stay in a friend’s apartment with signed permission from all members of that apartment or they will be assigned an open available space.
- Approved students will be notified and will be responsible for picking up their passkey(s) and signing a key agreement on Tuesday, December 22, 2014 at the Bates office from 12 - 2 pm for winter break housing. Current Bates residents will be required to exchange their current entryway key in order to receive a passkey.
- You must return your passkey to the Bates office on Sunday, January 18, 2015 between 8 am - 12 pm. Failure to do so by this date will result in a $25 charge.
- Since there will be limited staff available, you must take responsibility for ensuring that safety measures are maintained. Rear doors are alarmed and when opened and will signal university police. Propping the front entryway doors may result in all students from that particular entryway being removed from break housing. THIS IS STRICTLY ENFORCED. Therefore, please lock your door and carry your keys at all times.
- No large gatherings are allowed during vacation.
Applications for winter break housing are due by Monday, December 15, 2014 to Bates Complex assistant/resident director or the residence life office.