During Thanksgiving, winter and spring breaks, the only residential area open is Bates Complex.
Students that wish to live at Bates Complex must either already have a room in the complex or must find a host apartment that is willing to allow them to stay in their apartment. If a student chooses a host apartment, all apartment-mates must also give permission for the student to stay in that apartment. The process for obtaining permission to stay is outlined in the respective applications below.
There is a cost associated with staying at Bates Complex during breaks, as outlined in the application materials. This cost will be applied directly to a student's account.
On-Campus Spring Break Housing
The following information is concerning the Spring break closing. Any questions regarding this information should be directed to your resident director.
All residence halls close on Friday, March 11, 2016 at 5 pm, and all residence halls reopen on Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 12 pm.
1. The residential areas are closed for all major university recesses. The only residential area that remains open is the Bates Complex. The fee to stay at the Bates Complex during Spring break (Friday, March 11 through Sunday, March 20, 2016) is $125 per week. There is no daily rate for Spring break.
2. All applications must be submitted to the Bates Complex resident director or the assistant resident director no later than Monday, February 29th, 2016. Applications may be dropped off at the Bates Complex area office, RD Office, or ARD Office.
3. Approved students who live at Bates will be able to stay in their room during vacation time. Approved students who do not reside at the Bates Complex may choose to stay in a friend’s apartment with signed permission from all members of that apartment.
4. Approved students will be notified and will be responsible for picking up their passkey(s) and signing a key agreement on Friday, March 11, 2016 at the Bates area office from 5 pm to 8 pm for Spring break.
5. You must return your passkey to the Bates area office on Sunday, March 20, 2016 between 10 am and 12 pm. Failure to do so by this date and time will result in a $25 improper check out charge.
6. Since there will be limited staff available, you must take responsibility for ensuring that safety measures are maintained. Rear doors are alarmed and when opened will signal university police. Propping the front entryway doors may result in all students from that particular entryway being removed from break housing. This is strictly enforced. Therefore, please lock your door and carry your keys at all times.
7. No large gatherings are allowed during vacation.
Applications for Spring break housing are due by Monday, February 29, 2016 to Bates Complex assistant/resident director or the residence life office.