About the Library
Welcome to the Frederick E. Berry Library and Learning Commons at Salem State University. The facility, completed in 2013, houses the university library and a learning commons that includes a variety of academic support services. The learning commons brings together the Center for Academic Excellence, Academic Advising, TRIO programs, Disabilities Services, the Writing Center, and the Honors Program, and recognizes the synergy between and among these academic services and the library.
The library has been designed to take advantage of evolving pedagogies and technologies. Learning spaces have been planned to meet the varied needs of students and faculty, in a fully networked and wireless environment.
The library includes:
- A combined circulation, reserve, interlibrary loan and reference desk where you can check out and return library materials, request resources from other libraries throughout the world, and get one-on-one research assistance. IT support is also available at this desk during all hours of library operation.
- A collection of over 325,000 high-quality scholarly books, periodicals and media. This is in addition to access to an expanding collection of electronic resources covering the full array of academic disciplines, including over 300,000 electronic books and 57,000 journals.
- Three fully-equipped high-tech classrooms where professional librarians provide orientation to the library's resources and services, sessions on how to locate and use print and digital information, and subject-specific upper-division and graduate-level research instruction.
- Over 1,000 study seats, in a variety of forms - including collaborative workstations, lounge seating, study carrels, laptop tables, individual and group study tables, and twelve group study rooms where students can collaborate on class projects, gather in study groups, and meet for scholarly purposes.
- More than 150 public access computer workstations as well as an adaptive technology workstation near the service desk and in a specialized group study room on the first floor.
We hope that you will take advantage of the wealth of resources and services available to you in this wonderful facility!