Frequently Asked Questions

Campus Center

What student organizations (groups or clubs) does Salem State offer? How can my student get involved?

There are many opportunities to get involved. A wide variety of social and educational programs are offered on campus. Most departments offer events for students. Each semester, a poster-sized calendar listing of events at the university is created and distributed.  In addition, a calendar listing events is available. These are two of the best sources to find out what is happening on campus.   

Most groups and clubs meet regularly at a consistent time and place. During orientation in August and at the beginning of the semester, there are several Group & Club Fairs held to enable students to speak with student leaders from the more than forty student organizations. Students can contact these groups directly or they can contact the Campus Center Office in Room 218 of the Ellison Campus Center or at 978.542.6439 to find out how to reach any of the many groups and clubs on campus. 

Why should my student get involved?

There are many benefits to getting involved on campus. Students will meet new people, make friends, learn valuable skills, expand their horizons and enrich their university experience.

What's there to do at night? On the weekends? For fun?

Academic departments, student organizations and campus offices sponsor hundreds and hundreds of activities each year for students.  Each semester a poster-sized calendar listing most events at the university, is created and distributed around the campus. These are two of the best sources to find out what is happening on campus.

Traditional events in the evenings and on weekends include social and educational activities in the residence halls; athletic events; intramurals; comedy shows; movies; dances; musical recitals; dance performances; poetry and prose readings; art gallery exhibitions and more!     

How can my student start a group or club?

If you do not see the group or club you would like to join, any student can start a new organization with a few other members. Directions for how to start a new group and club are located at

Career Services

What is Career Services?


When should my son/daughter plan on using your office?

We encourage students to get involved with our office early and stay connected throughout their university experience. Our first contact is often related to choice of major/concentration.

How do internships work?

Students typically participate in internships in their junior or senior year. Both credit and non-credit internships are available, credit must be   approved prior to the internship and is determined by the academic department.  Career Services is available to assist students with the internships search (resume & interview preparation, internship listings).

What services are available to graduating students?

We offer a variety of services to seniors including an on-campus recruiting program, resume referral service, annual job fair.   Each year we conduct a Destination Survey 6 months after graduation to determine how our graduates are doing.  The survey addresses both professional employment and graduate school.  The results are available on the Career Services webpage.

Counseling & Health Services

What students are eligible to receive health care at Counseling & Health Services?

All full-time and part-time undergraduate and graduate students at Salem State University are eligible to receive health care and treatment at Counseling & Health Services.

Who is on the staff?

Our staff consists of nurse practitioners, a doctor, a registered nurse, psychologists, a licensed mental health counselor, and administrative assistants. Medical residents and advanced graduate students also provide care under supervision.

Does a student have to have an appointment?

Students may walk in for urgent care. Appointments will be scheduled for routine physicals. For mental health counseling, students are encouraged to call or stop in to make an appointment. We do not have a waiting list, and students generally can meet with a counselor within a few days. If the counseling need is urgent, we will make every effort to see the student right away.

Can I call and talk to a provider about my son or daughter's health?

Family members are welcome to call if they have a concern. All students over 18 are legally adults, and we cannot share information without the student's permission. However, often we can provide general information and guidance that may be helpful.

What if my student needs medical care when you are closed?

In an emergency, Campus Police are first responders and they will assess the situation and call an ambulance if needed. Otherwise, students may call or go to a local walk-in clinic or to North Shore Medical Center. Our office hours, as well as phone numbers and directions to other clinics, are available at Counseling & Health Services.

Why is there a "Hold" on my student's registration for classes?

The university may place an administrative "hold" on a student's records for several reasons. Sometimes a "hold" is placed because a student's required immunization information has not been received, or is incomplete. State law requires that the university document student immunization records. We can generally help the student resolve this problem quickly if they contact us at 978.542.6413. For more information, see Counseling & Health Services.

My child is not required to get the meningitis vaccine. Should they get it anyway?

Information on meningitis and the meningitis vaccine.

Reference Documents

FERPA at a Glance: Questions from Parents Part 1[PDF]

FERPA at a Glance: Questions from Parents Part 2 [PDF]


Say What? A Glossary of College Slang [PDF]

Keys Issues in the First Year: Ways to Provide Support [PDF]

9 Books for Parents of College StudentsCampus Center [PDF]