The professional statement should be carefully prepared and is an important part of your application, as it demonstrates your critical thinking skills and writing abilities.
Professional Statement - Part I (3 pages maximum, double-spaced):
Provide a narrative essay addressing the following areas (as applicable)
- Discuss the development of your interest in the field of social work. Include examples of values, academic courses, work experience, volunteer experience or other influences that played a role in your decision to pursue a career in social work.
- What do you wish to accomplish with your graduate education?
- Discuss your experiences with diverse populations. Include in your discussion an assessment of the strengths you bring to working with diverse individuals, groups, or communities.
- If you are a career changer, what skills have you developed that are transferable to working in diverse environments?
- If you have a GPA below the minimum requirement, please discuss issues you faced at that time and why you now have the readiness for graduate education.
- Why is the Salem State MSW program a good fit for you and for achieving your goals?
- Why is now the right time to apply to our MSW program? How does your choice of concentration area relate to your career goals?
Professional Statement - Part II (3 pages maximum, double-spaced):
Describe a contemporary social problem or population group that interests you, explain your interest in this issue, possible causative factors for the social problem and potential solutions. In responding to this, please make reference to the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics (2008).
Please include your name on your professional statement and upload directly into your online application.