MA/MAT English Apply
- Online graduate admissions application
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Complete, official transcript documenting the award of a bachelor's degree and any graduate courses taken or degrees held
- Three references: at least two of the references must be from persons able to speak to your academic qualifications and performance. Your references will be asked to submit their comments online via the online application. At least one reference must speak to your potential scholarship in English.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores, if applicable. Please review our TOEFL/IELTS policy.
- Statement of purpose (500- to 1,000-words, double-spaced) addressing the following:
- Your interest in teaching English as the secondary level (grades 8-12)
- Your interest in studying English at the graduate level (ie, how you see yourself as a scholar of English)
- Please note this program no longer requires the GRE/MAT.
Additional Materials, Requirements and Prerequisites
- A passing score on the Massachusetts Tests for Education Licensure (MTEL) communication and literacy portion and content test for English.
- For applicants pursuing literary studies, analytical writing sample between 6-12 pages required; for applicants pursuing writing, a creative writing sample between 6-12 pages required.
- Course in adolescent psychology (undergraduate or graduate)
- Course of foundations of secondary education (undergraduate or graduate)
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Application deadlines are May 10 for fall enrollment, October 1 for spring enrollment and February 1 for summer enrollment.
- Please be aware that these application deadlines are firm. Only complete applications that include all required materials will be reviewed for admission that semester.
- If your application is incomplete on the deadline date, it will, upon completion, be reviewed for admission for the following semester.
- Admissions decisions will be communicated by the end of the application deadline month for which you've applied.