MAT English Apply
- Online graduate admissions application
- A $50 non-refundable application fee.
- Complete, official transcript documenting the award of a bachelor’s degree and any graduate courses taken or degrees held.
- Three references. References will be asked to submit their comments online via the online application. At least one reference must speak to your potential scholarship in English.
- Official copy of scores from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) taken within the last five years. Those who already hold a master’s degree or higher are exempt from this requirement.
- Students for whom English is not a first language must submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores.
- Statement of purpose (500- to 1,000-words, double-spaced) addressing the following:
-your interest in teaching English at the secondary level (grades 8-12)
-your interest in studying English at the graduate level (ie, how you see yourself as a scholar of English)
Additional Materials and Requirements
- A photocopy of teacher’s license(s) that you may hold and proof of passing the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure (MTEL), both the communication and literacy portion and English content tests.
- Bachelor's degree in English or equivalent. If you do not possess a bachelor’s degree in English, please consult with the program coordinator before applying to this program.
- Course in adolescent psychology (undergraduate or graduate).
- Course in foundations of secondary education (EDU 252A or EDU 808).
- Application deadlines are May 10 for fall enrollment, October 1 for spring enrollment and February 1 for summer enrollment.
- Please be aware that these application deadlines are firm. Only complete applications that include all required materials will be reviewed for admission that semester.
- If your application is incomplete on the deadline date, it will, upon completion, be reviewed for admission for the following semester.
- Admissions decisions will be communicated by the end of the application deadline month for which you've applied.