MA English Apply
- Online graduate admissions application
- $50 non-refundable application
- Complete, official transcript documenting the award of a bachelor's degree and any graduate courses taken or degrees held
- Three references: at least two of your references must be from persons able to speak to your academic qualifications and performance. Your references will be asked to submit their comments online via the online application.
- Official copy of scores from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) taken within the last five years—those who already hold a master's degree or higher are exempt from this requirement
- TOEFL or IELTS scores, if applicable. Please review our TOEFL/IELTS policy.
- Statement of purpose (500- to 1,000-words, double-spaced) addressing the following questions:
- What factors in your personal and professional history have influenced you in the past and now lead you to seek admission to this program at Salem State?
- What are your long-term professional goals, and how will this program help you meet them?
- Is there any other information that you think would help the admissions committee to evaluate your application?
Additional Materials and Requirements
- For applicants pursuing literary studies, analytical writing sample between 6-12 pages required; for applicants pursuing writing, a creative writing sample between 6-12 pages required.
- Proficiency in a foreign language at the intermediate level before completion of the program. Proficiency may be demonstrated by completed coursework at the undergraduate level or equivalent test results.
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- Application deadlines are rolling admissions for fall enrollment, October 1 for spring enrollment, and February 1 for summer enrollment.
- Only complete applications that include all required materials will be reviewed for admission that semester.
- If your application is incomplete on the deadline date, it will, upon completion, be reviewed for admission for the following semester.