MA English Apply
- Online graduate admissions application.
- A $50 non-refundable application fee.
- Complete, official transcript documenting the award of a bachelor's degree and any graduate courses taken or degrees held.
- Three references. Your references will be asked to submit their comments online via the online application.
- Official copy of scores from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) taken within the last five years—those who already hold a master's degree or higher are exempt from this requirement.
- Students for whom English is not a first language must submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores.
- Statement of purpose (500- to 1,000-words, double-spaced) addressing the following questions:
-What factors in your personal and professional history have influenced you in the past and now lead you to seek admission to this program at Salem State?
-What are your long-term professional goals, and how will this program help you meet them?
-Is there any other information that you think would help the admissions committee to evaluate your application?
Additional Materials and Requirements
- For applicants pursuing literary studies, analytical writing sample between 6-12 pages required; for applicants pursuing writing, a creative writing sample between 6-12 pages required.
- Proficiency in a foreign language at the intermediate level before completion of the program. Proficiency may be demonstrated by completed coursework at the undergraduate level or equivalent test results.
- Application deadlines are May 10 for fall enrollment, October 1 for spring enrollment, and February 1 for summer enrollment.
- Please be aware that these application deadlines are firm. Only complete applications that include all required materials will be reviewed for admission that semester.
- If your application is incomplete on the deadline date, it will, upon completion, be reviewed for admission for the following semester.
- Admissions decisions will be communicated by the end of the application deadline month for which you've applied.