MEd Special Ed Apply
- Online graduate admissions application.
- For a limited time, submit your application by October 31 and the $50 application fee is waived automatically.
- Complete, official transcript documenting the award of a bachelor's degree and any graduate courses taken or degrees held.
- Three references. Your references will be asked to submit their comments online via the online application.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores, if applicable. Please review our TOEFL/IELTS policy.
- Statement of purpose (500- to 1,000-words, double-spaced) addressing the following questions:
-What factors in your personal and professional history have influenced you in the past and now lead you to seek admission to this program at Salem State?
-What are your long-term professional goals, and how will this program help you meet them?
-Is there any other information that you think would help the admissions committee to evaluate your application?
- A sample of academic writing. Please review our academic writing sample guidelines. Attach your academic writing sample to the end of your personal statement in the online application.
- Please note the MAT/GRE is not required for this program.
Additional Materials and Requirements for those Seeking Initial Licensure
- A photocopy of teacher's license(s) that you may hold and scores on the Communication and Literacy portion of the Massachusetts Tests of Educator Licensure (MTEL).
- A bachelor’s degree with grades of merit from an accredited college or university, with an arts and sciences major, or a major appropriate to the teaching license sought (e.g., physical education, computer sciences, or technology).
- Child or Adolescent Development course.
- Students who have not previously taken any education courses may need to complete introductory course work that does not count toward the degree requirements.
Additional Materials for those Seeking Professional Licensure
- Submit a copy of an initial Massachusetts teaching license in special education.
- Applications accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed once complete.