MEd Reading Apply
- Online graduate admissions application.
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Complete, official transcript documenting the award of a bachelor’s degree and any graduate courses taken or degrees held.
- Three references. Your references will be asked to submit their comments online via the online application.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores, if applicable. Please review our TOEFL/IELTS policy.
- Statement of purpose (500- to 1,000-words, double-spaced) addressing the following questions:
- What factors in your personal and professional history have influenced you in the past and now lead you to seek admission to this program at Salem State?
- What are your long-term professional goals, and how will this program help you meet them?
- Is there any other information that you think would help the admissions committee to evaluate your application?
- Please note the GRE/MAT is not required for this program.
Additional Materials and Requirements
- Copy of an initial or professional Massachusetts teaching license in a classroom teaching field
- Evidence of a passing score on the Communication and Literacy portion of the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL).
- Completion of EDU 739: Literacy Instruction and Assessment in the Early Childhood and Elementary Classroom or an equivalent course.
Additional Licensure Requirements
The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education requires teachers seeking the initial specialist teacher of reading license to have at least an initial teaching license and at least one year of experience under that license. Students must supply verification of at least one year of teaching experience in the role and grade level of their initial license upon application to the practicum (EDU 840P).
- Applications accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed once complete.