We understand that one of your concerns is how credits from your prior institution(s) will transfer to Salem State. Because transferring to Salem State with little or no loss of credit takes planning, follow the guidelines below.
- Courses that are comparable to Salem State courses generally transfer. Transfer credit is based on factors including but not limited to accreditation, comparability of courses, faculty credentials and other requirements.
- In general, C- is the minimum grade required to transfer a course.
- A total of 68 credits may be transferred from two-year institutions.
- Become familiar with MassTransfer policies if you are transferring from a Massachusetts public institution.
- Speak regularly with the transfer counselor at your institution so you can understand the transfer process.
- Refer to the program of study and flowsheet of your intended major. Each major has its own specific requirements.
Please note you must successfully complete at least 30 credit hours at Salem State in order to receive your bachelor's degree from us.
Click here to visit our transfer equivalency viewer. Current students must still obtain permission to take an outside course prior to enrolling at an outside institution.
Contact Admissions if you:
- Are planning to apply to Salem State as a transfer student
- Have applied as a transfer student but have not yet been admitted
Visit Transfer Services if you are:
- A newly admitted transfer student who has questions about transfer credit evaluations
- A returning (matriculated) Salem State student who has taken or plans to take coursework at another institution