- Online graduate admissions application
- $50 application fee, non-refundable
- Official transcript documenting the award of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, with a minimum 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
- If you apply with a GPA less than 3.0, please submit official GRE or MAT scores.
- If you completed more than 60 credits of your bachelor's degree at another institution, please submit that transcript as well.
- If you earned your degree at an institution outside of the United States, then your transcript(s) must be evaluated by one of four transcript evaluation companies (please request a detailed evaluation).
- Transcripts and transcript evaluations should be mailed to our document processing center.
- Official transcript showing any graduate courses and/or degrees held.
- Three letters of reference. Please review our process for submitting MSW references.
- Professional statement. Please review our MSW professional statement requirements.
- Resume. Please upload your resume into the online application.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores if English is not your first language and you have not earned an academic degree at an institution in the United States.
Additional Requirements for Advanced Standing (BSW required)
- All of the materials listed above PLUS
- BSW Field Evaluation Form [PDF]
- Interview with the admissions committee. You will be contacted to schedule your interview once your application is completed.
- Work experience in social work or human services is preferred.
- Advanced Standing (BSW required) - November 15, 2014 for summer 2015 enrollment
- MSW Program - Applications are still being accepted on a rolling basis until the program is full.
We strongly encourage you to finish your application as early as possible. Please be advised that applications will not be reviewed until all required materials are received. All materials must be received no later than April 1, 2015.
A maximum of 30 credits earned in a CSWE accredited school of social work as a matriculated student may be considered for transfer to Salem State. A grade of B or better must be earned in each course for which transfer credit is requested. In order for us to make a decision about transfer credit, you must submit all of the following items for evaluation to our MSW Program Coordinator:
- Official transcripts
- Course description (for each course)
- Course syllabus (for each course)
In addition to the above, transfer applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Submit a letter stating that you are in good academic and professional standing at the school from which you wish to transfer.
- For students who have completed field education requirements, a copy of the field evaluation must be submitted.
- An interview is required for all students who were matriculated at another school of social work.
- In addition to the professional statement, you must discuss your reasons for transfer and why you think our MSW program will be a good fit.
A maximum of 9 non-matriculating graduate credits in courses for which a grade of B or better was earned can be considered for transfer from another college or university. The following items must be submitted for evaluation:
- Official transcripts
- Course descriptions
- Course syllabus
Students who have earned a grade of B or better in non-matriculating courses offered by our MSW program at Salem State will receive transfer credit.