Minor in Social Work
Students minoring in social work are not eligible for state licensing upon graduation but may find this preparation helpful in selecting a career direction or in considering graduate school in social work.
15 credit hours of course work including:
- SWK 101 The Profession of Social Work (3 cr.)
- SWK 200 Social Services Volunteer Practicum (3 cr.) OR SWK 510 Directed Study in the Generalist Approach (3 cr.)
- SWK 270 Race, Class, and Ethnicity: Impact on Social Services (3 cr.)
Students must also select two courses (6 cr.) from the department's offerings excluding:
- SWK 301 Generalist Practice I
- SWK 302 Generalist Practice II
- SWK 381 Research Methods I
- SWK 382 Research Methods II
- SWK 404 - 407, Field Work and Field Work Seminar courses
- SWK 410 Social Policy: Theory and Action
All students may enroll in certain courses offered to non-majors on a space available basis. Non-majors who wish advising regarding clustering courses to reach individual learning goals should consult with the BSW program coordinator.