The existing model relays the underpinnings of the program's conceptual philosophy, a DNA helix. The DNA helix is symbolic of how living things, grow, adapt and develop within the environment. The OTA student transitioning to an OT undergoes an adaptation process similar to that of a strand of DNA adapting to an environmental change.
To see a detailed view of the required courses, click on the sections below the photo.
Code for Model Interpretation:
- Wide Bands: Light purple represents previous knowledge and skills attained by the OTA and the green represents newly acquired skills and knowledge to transition to an OTR.
- Loops: Represent sequential semester coursework.
- Filaments: Represent courses in the curriculum.
- Colors on Filaments: Represent the six philosophical strands present throughout the curriculum:
- Clinical Reasoning (Blue)
- Professional Development (Green)
- Occupational Science (Yellow)
- Research (Red)
- Educational Leadership (Orange)
- Civic Advancement (Purple)
Each course in the curriculum reflects the six main philosophical strands and the concentration of each strand depends on the emphasis of the specific course objectives.
The attainment of knowledge is a continuous process that is nurtured over time. The program’s mission, conceptual model, objectives and philosophy promote the message that life-long learning and continuing education never end as long as the human exists. The DNA helix is a wonderful representation of the learning process and continual journey that all humans take in life as they adapt and learn.