Master of Education (MEd) in Secondary Education
The MEd in Secondary Education is designed for experienced teachers who have an initial license in a high school subject area who want a master’s degree as part of the qualifications required for the professional teaching license in Massachusetts or advanced learning in the field. According to the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), teachers with initial licenses seeking professional licensure must
- possess an initial teaching license in the same subject area
- take at least 12 credits of content courses in the subject area within or in addition to this program
- have three years of teaching experience in the field of the initial license
Please note that we do not endorse candidates for professional licensure through this program. However, if you complete this program and satisfy the conditions listed above, you may then apply on your own to the DESE for the professional license.
If you already possess a master’s degree in a content field (for example, a Master of Arts in English, history, math or science) and need an initial teaching license, you may complete one of our Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degrees in the appropriate subject area that offers initial license or should consider our Secondary Education Initial Licensure Only program.
- Visit our Office of Licensure and Field Placement for licensure and fieldwork questions.
- To apply to this program, please visit our graduate admissions section here.
You will take advanced courses in educational foundations and pedagogy, including strategies for working with students from a variety of backgrounds with different learning needs. The program culminates in self-designed “action research” which allows you to tackle a project that will impact professional practices within your setting.
Visit the 2014-2015 School of Graduate Studies catalog Secondary Education - Non Licensure Track, Master of Education page for more course details and program requirements.
- View faculty bios.