Salem State University is proud of its field education department. Field is a vital part - in fact the very heart - of your graduate education and we hope the experience is educational and valuable to your growth as a social worker.
The field department works with field learning centers across the state as well as in New Hampshire, Maine and Rhode Island. They are organized by concentration (health/mental health, children and families, older adults and end of life, and combinations of these). Centers include hospitals, mental health centers, state agencies, macro-focused agencies, family and child welfare programs, school programs, and criminal justice settings.
We are always willing to work with students to explore new agencies and programs to expand our already extensive resources for field placements. If you have an idea for a new placement, please be sure to drop by the office and speak with one of the field education specialists. They can then begin the process for new agency approvals.
The field department staff places students throughout the year. We try to have someone available in the office daily throughout the academic year and in the summer session. In addition to student placements, the field office is involved in a variety of community programs.
We offer a supervision course for new and continuing field instructors as well as an appreciation brunch each year in support of supervisors. Salem State is a member of the New England Consortium of Graduate Social Work Field Education (NECON) which sponsors seminars for new field instructors and continuing education seminars throughout the academic year.
Our liaisons include full-time faculty members as well as accomplished social work practitioners from a variety of community practice experience.
- Field Education Requirements
- FAQ about Field Placement
- Work Study Information
- Field Education Curriculum Guide [PDF]
- MSW CORI Policy [PDF]
- MSW Field Education Learning Centers [PDF]
- Agency Interest Form
Field Education Documents
- Agency Questionnaire
- Annual Update: Agency Questionnaire
- Field Instructor Information Form
- Application for Field Education Placement
- Proposal for Placement in Place of Employment
- Process Recording Formats
- Process Recording Form: Macro Format
- Process Recording Form: Micro Format
- Field Education Narrative Reflection Logs
- Field Education Macro or Micro Experience Description
- Field Education Portfolio
- Bio-Psychosocial Assessment
- Evaluation of Field by Field Instructor
- Evaluation of Field Placement by Student
- Evaluation of FLC by Field Faculty Liaison
Field Education Links
- NASW-Mass. Chapter
- National Office-NASW
- Mass. Board of Registration for Social Work Licensing
- The New Social Worker On-line
- Boston Resources: full range of social and human service providers in the Greater Boston area.
- Web Resources for Social Workers
- New England Source for Non-Profit employment
- Health net: 20 million pages on health and medical information
- American Board of Clinical Examiners in Social Work
- Association for the Advancement of Social Work with Groups
- Information for Practice (NYU)
- School Social Work Association of America
- Society for Social Work Leadership in Health Care
- International Social Work Field Instruction