Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in History
The Master of Arts in Teaching History is designed for liberal arts graduates who wish to begin preparation for teaching history at the middle school or secondary level or practicing teachers who desire to expand their understanding of the educational process while increasing their formal education in history.
Choosing Between the MA in History and MAT in History
The majority of our MAT in History students are working toward the initial licensure needed to begin a career as a history teacher in grades 5-12. The MAT degree consists of both history and education courses.
The majority of our MAT in History students are:
- Area middle and high school teachers who have a preliminary teaching license but seek initial licensure; our courses provide teachers intellectual stimulation and allow teachers to bring their excitement of history back to their students and classrooms
- Current or future professionals in area museums and historical agencies
- Preparing for doctoral studies in history
- Taking our graduate courses just because they love history
Completion of the MAT in History program fulfills the requirement for initial licensure for teaching history in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Visit our Office of Licensure and Field Placement for all licensure and fieldwork questions