Psi Chi Member Requirements
Apply online at www.psichi.org.
The Psi Chi Constitution requires that undergraduate student applicants:
- Must be enrolled as a student at Salem State University.
- Must have established a GPA at Salem State University.
- Must be at least a second-semester sophomore.
- Must be enrolled as a major or minor in a psychology program or a program psychological in nature that is equivalent to a psychology major.
- Must have completed at least nine semester hours or 14 quarter hours of psychology courses.
- Must have an overall GPA that is in the top 35% of their class. At Salem State, the requirement is currently a 3.2 or higher.
- Must have a psychology GPA that is at least 3.00 on a four-point scale.
Undergraduate transfer students who wish to join an established chapter must complete at least 12 semester hours (or the quarter equivalent) at the new institution unless the Psi Chi chapter has a transfer student policy that articulates clear alternative criteria, yet still conforms to the society standards regarding hours. The society standards regarding hours are that the student must have completed 36 semester hours of college credit (or the quarter equivalent) and nine semester hours of psychology (or the quarter equivalent).
This means that if chapters adopt an alternative transfer student policy, that policy must be clearly stated in the chapter's bylaws. Chapters may write bylaws which allow transfer students to take fewer than 12 hours of college credit at the new institution; however, chapter bylaws may not lower the minimum required college credit below 36 hours total. Chapter bylaws also may not lower the society standards for cumulative GPA (students' cumulative GPA must be in the top 35 percent of their class at the university).
In addition, chapter bylaws may specify how many transfer hours may be counted toward the minimum nine hours of psychology. Chapter bylaws may not lower the minimum required psychology credit below nine hours total. Chapter bylaws also may not lower the society standards for psychology GPA (3.0 minimum).
Chapters should check with their registrar's office before writing any new bylaws pertaining to transfer student requirements in order to determine how their campus calculates GPA for transfer students. Some campuses include the transferred course credits and grades, meaning that the cumulative GPA in the first semester is based only on the transferred courses. Other campuses only include the credits, meaning that transfer students have no GPA until they complete their first semester. If the campus does not include transferred grades, the chapter bylaws pertaining to transfer students will need to specify how cumulative and psychology GPAs will be determined by the faculty advisor.
The Psi Chi Constitution requires that graduate student applicants:
• Must be enrolled as a graduate student at your school in a psychology graduate program
• Must have established a GPA at Salem State University
• Must have an overall GPA of at least 3.00 on a four-point scale in all graduate courses, including psychology courses
Graduate students who have transferred to a new institution and are interested in becoming a Psi Chi member must complete one semester at the new institution to establish a GPA in addition to the above requirements.
Any questions? Feel free to email: firstname.lastname@example.org