International Student Orientation
August 17-28, 2015
The Center for International Education coordinates orientation for all incoming international students. This program provides new international students with tools to adjust to the American educational environment. New students will receive an email with orientation registration information.
Orientation is mandatory and includes the following topics and activities:
- Immigration: new regulations, working on- and off-campus, getting social security numbers and a driver’s license, and how to maintain your immigration status
- United States education system: introduction to US academic life, classroom culture, plagiarism, Salem State University Code of Conduct, and student social life
- Cross-cultural communication and relationships: culture shock, American values, stereotypes, and intercultural communications
- Campus resources: tour the campus and meet representatives from many university departments
- Health insurance and immunizations: sign up for required health insurance and meet with Salem State Counseling and Health Services
- Account set-up: open email and university student portal account, receive student ID card (ClipperCard), open bank account
- Class registration and tuition payment plans
- Off-campus activities: shopping trips, tours of Salem and Boston, and other excursions
New international undergraduate and graduate students:
In addition to attending the international student orientation, matriculated undergraduate and graduate students must also attend the orientation related to their specific academic programs.