Applying to Our English Program
To apply to Salem State University's intensive English program:
- Fill out and send the English program application [PDF].
Please save the application to your computer, fill it out and the click on the "Email Now" button at the end of the application.
You can also scan your documents and attach them to the same email and send the originals by mail.
- Send a check or money order in the amount of $50 (made payable to Salem State University) to the address below.
Note: If you are an international student applicant, you must provide the following:
- a completed English program application
- certification of finances*
- a check or money order in the amount of $50 (made payable to Salem State University)
- a check or money order in the amount of $50 if express mail service is requested (made payable to Salem State University)
*Financial Documents: In order to obtain the I-20 form from Salem State University, international student applicants must prove they have enough money to cover their tuition, housing and other related expenses while studying in the United States. Once students obtain the I-20 form, they can apply for an F-1 student visa from their local U.S. embassy/consulate.
Examples of acceptable financial documents are:
- bank statements (checking and/or saving counts)
- tax returns
If your financial documents are not in your own name, you will need to provide a letter from either your family or your sponsor*. The letter must show that either your family or your sponsor will be responsible for your expenses in the United States.
*The certificate of finances form on the second page of the application form may be used instead of a sponsor letter.
All documents should clearly indicate the prospective student's name and should be sent to:
Center for International Education
Salem State University
352 Lafayette Street
Salem, MA 01970
Application timeline: In order to give both you and us enough time to process your application and get your visa, we should receive your complete application approximately eight (8) weeks before the program begins.
If accepted, you will receive your I-20 form from Salem State University. At this point, you will need to apply for the F-1 student visa.
Please take these following documents and forms to your visa interview:
- Form I-20
- SEVIS fee receipt: Form I-901 can be filled out and paid online at fmjfee.com. Print the receipt and bring it with you to the U.S. Embassy
- Pay all other required fees
- Letter of acceptance from Salem State University
- Required financial documents
- Letter from family and/or sponsor if applicable
- Documents that demonstrate your intent to return home