Dr. Donald Ross's Retirement Party
You are invited to join the Center for International Education in wishing Donald Ross the best as he retires. Don has served as the Director of the Center for International Education for almost twenty years. He has been a tireless advocate for international students and is well-known for his expertise in Immigration regulations. Students, staff, faculty and colleagues alike have sought his expert advice in all areas of international education. Don will be sorely missed across campus. Join us to celebrate his years of service on Wednesday, February 4, 2015, 3:00 – 5:30 pm in the Faculty dining room.
We are proud to announce that a scholarship has been established in honor of Don’s service to the university. The scholarship will benefit our international student population. To make a contribution to the Don Ross Scholarship Fund please visit https://participate.salemstate.edu/don-ross-scholarship-giving-page.
International Student Orientation
The Center for International Education coordinates
and implements orientation for all incoming international students. This
program provides new foreign students with tools to assimilate into the U.S.
This orientation is in addition to your freshman or transfer orientation that you must attend to assist you in registering your courses. To sign up for your freshman or transfer orientation, please visit Navigator.
International Student Orientation will be held on Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10 am to 4 pm at MLK Room, Ellison Campus Center, North Campus.
This orientation is mandatory for all international students who will be taking credit classes. The following topics are discussed:
1. Immigration: new regulations, working on and off campus, getting social security numbers and a driver’s license, and how to maintain your immigration status.
2. U.S. educational system, new core curriculum.
3. Cross-cultural communication and relationships: culture shock, American values, stereotypes, and intercultural communications.
4. Campus Resources – you will meet representatives from many departments on campus, learn about the functions of these departments and learn how these departments can ease your transition to the university: health and health insurance information, safety/campus parking information, financial, tuition payment systems,
5. Email set up, campus tours, Clipper Card (student ID card).
6. Campus tour
Staff will help you to open a bank account, and can also assist you where to go shopping for items you need.
For more information, contact the Center for International Education at 978.542.6351 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org