Services and Activities



ALL international students on F-1 visas MUST FILE a TAX FORM 8843 even if you did not earn any money.

If you earned any money in the US in 2013, then you must also file another tax form, a 1040NR or 1040NREZ. If you have any questions about your taxes, please attend one of our Tax Workshops.

Tax Workshops schedule for 2013 tax year [PDF]

(Please bring your passport and W-2 tax forms and arrive at the start of the workshop)

Federal and State (Massachusetts) Tax Forms are available at the CIE and will be available at the workshops.

Sponsored by:
The Center for International Education (CIE)
8 Harrison Road, South Campus
Phone: 978.542.6351

Previous Workshops, Fall 2012

Monday, September 24, 11 am–12:30 pm
Harrington Building Room 206, South Campus
“Health is Wealth”
Joan Sweeney, nurse practitioner, counseling and health services

All you need to know about health forms, immunizations, health insurance, American health care system, emergency rooms, ambulance, referrals, and holds in your student account.

Thursday, October 11, 3:30–5 pm 
Harrington Building Room 201, South Campus 
Academic Writing Workshop
Dr. Julie Whitlow, professor, English department, and coordinator, graduate programs in teaching ESL

This workshop will give you an introduction to academic writing, an overview of the dominant style guides, and examples of  how to incorporate outside references into your writing to best meet the criteria of your assignments and to avoid any plagiarism issues. An overview of the "Writing Process" and advice as to how to maximize your potential in writing will be discussed. Come prepared with any questions or concerns about being an effective writer!

Monday, October 22, 3 to 5 pm
Harrington Building 201, South Campus
Optional Practical Training and Curricular Practical Training
Your Passport to Employment: Tips and Strategies
Dr. Donald Ross, director, CIE

Are you embarking on your job search? Do you want to stay in the U.S. for one year? Learn all the necessary documents, timing and other information for obtaining legal employment authorization before you graduate and for staying and working in the U.S. after completing your degree. Then what are the options after your year of OPT? What about H visas? Come and get your questions answered.

The Center for International Education offers comprehensive services both on campus and in the external community. These include intercultural programming, overseas institutional linkages and international student and faculty exchanges.

We will also provide advising services, or will help you set follow-up appointments based on individual questions and requests.


Are you graduating in December or May? Do you need information about how to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT)? Do you want to incorporate Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) into your academic plan?


OPT is a benefit of F-1 immigration status that permits up to 12 months of off-campus employment for the purpose of gaining practical experience in your chosen field. While you may work for any employer in the United States, the job duties must be directly related to your major area of study and commensurate with your educational level.


  • Got a Question? Tel: 978.542.6351 Tel: 978.542.7104 fax