International Student Admissions
Students who want to study English or do not have the TOEFL score needed to be admitted to an undergraduate or graduate program can study first in the ESL Program. Undergraduate admissions minimum scores: 500 (Paper-based TOEFL), and 61 (Internet-based TOEFL); or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 5.5. Graduate admissions minimum scores: 550 (Paper-based TOEFL), and 80 (Internet-based TOEFL); or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.0.
For admission to Salem State's English as a Second Language (ESL) program, please submit a completed application, along with the required supporting documents, to the Center for International Education, Salem State University, 352 Lafayette Street, Salem, MA 01945 USA.
To apply to Salem State electronically or to view application requirements, please go to salemstate.edu/admissions.
If you are planning to transfer to Salem State from another school in the United States, you must follow the procedure outlined below.
- Apply to the program in which you wish to enroll at Salem State.
- Upon acceptance to Salem State and admission to the program of your choice, notify your current school that you plan to transfer to Salem State University.
- Download the transfer verification form from the Salem State website (salemstate.edu/cie - Forms).
- Fill out the top portion of the transfer verification form and sign it.
- Ask the international student advisor at your current school to complete the lower portion of the transfer verification form. Fax the completed transfer verification form to the Center for International Education at 978.542.7104 or email it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT: If you have completed college or university-level coursework in another country, those transcripts must be evaluated by a professional evaluation service. Companies that provide this service include the following: The Center for Educational Documentation (cedevaluations.com), North American Educational Group (naeg.org) and World Education Services (wes.org). If you have attended a college or university in the United States, transcript(s) of your courses at each must also be submitted.
For more information regarding admission to Salem State University, please visit the links below: