International Student Admissions
Salem State University accepts admissions applications from students all over the world. We currently have over 500 students from 69 countries with the largest numbers coming from Brazil, China, Japan, Kenya, Korea, Morocco, Nepal and Vietnam. International students choose Salem State University because of the quality of our faculty, the multidisciplinary emphasis of our academic programs, the small class sizes, and our modern facilities. Salem State University's location close to the vibrant city of Boston is also a strong attraction for students from around the world.
We would like to thank all prospective international students for their interest in Salem State University. For more information, please visit our undergraduate and graduate webpages to learn more about academic programs, admissions requirements and the application process. If you have questions about the admissions process you can email the relevant admissions office.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
If students have not yet taken a TOEFL exam as part of the admissions requirements for undergraduate or graduate degree programs, or wish to improve their English language proficiency; please visit the English as a Second Language (ESL) webpage for more information or email your questions to our office directly:
Once a student receives admission to Salem State University to a degree program or to the ESL program, the Center for International Education (CIE) will be the main source of contact about preparing for arrival at Salem State University. After a student has been admitted to a degree program or accepted into the ESL program, the Center for International Education will begin the steps for processing an I-20 (F-1 visa students) or DS-2019 (J-1 visa students). Students with questions about the student visa process must contact the CIE office by email: email@example.com or by phone at 978.542.6351
If you are planning to transfer to Salem State University from another college or university in the United States, you must follow the procedure outlined below.
- Apply to the program in which you wish to enroll at Salem State.
- Upon acceptance to Salem State and admission to the program of your choice, notify your current school that you plan to transfer to Salem State University.
- Download the transfer verification form [PDF[ from the Salem State website (salemstate.edu/cie - Forms).
- Fill out the top portion of the transfer verification form and sign it.
- Ask the international student advisor at your current school to complete the lower portion of the transfer verification form. Fax the completed transfer verification form to the Center for International Education at 978.542.7104 or email it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important: If you have completed college or university-level coursework in another country, those transcripts must be evaluated by a professional evaluation service. Companies that provide this service include the following: The Center for Educational Documentation, North American Educational Group and World Education Services. If you have attended a college or university in the United States, transcript(s) of your courses at each must also be submitted.