Current StudentsTesting Accommodation Form [Word doc]
Student's Rights and Responsibilities
As a student with a disability, you have the right to:
- Appropriate confidentiality of all information related to your disability.
- Equal access to courses, programs, services, jobs, activities, and facilities available at Salem State University.
- Discuss the need for appropriate, reasonable accommodations according to your disability, which may include academic adjustment, and/or auxiliary aids, which are determined on an individualized basis using required documentation.
- Receive with written verification of accommodations.
- Requested accommodations can be altered or denied if the appropriate procedures are not followed:
o The documentation submitted does not support the request.
o The request constitutes a substantial change or alteration to an essential part of a program or course.
o The request poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
o The request poses undue financial hardship on the university.
- Be oriented to information regarding policies and procedures of disability services and receive an accessible format of that information upon request by the student.
- Have available the information and the access to the university's grievance procedures.
As a student with a disability, you have the responsibility to:
- Disclosing your disability and providing documentation regarding your disability from an appropriate health care professional to disability services.
- Meeting with disability services staff each semester to review course requirements and obtain accommodation approval letters for each instructor.
- Meeting with faculty to get the faculty signature page signed and discuss disability-related needs and accommodations.
- Requesting all services in a timely manner, and following established procedures.
- Reporting any concerns that you have regarding accommodations immediately as they arise.
- Treating all university personnel with respect.
- Meeting the university's graduation requirements and essential qualifications for full participation in and completion of any academic program.
Disability services understands that there are times when a disagreement on a decision regarding accommodations may arise, or problems during the process of receiving accommodations that have already been determined. If a student wishes to challenge a disability services decision of accommodations, or has a complaint about accommodations they are receiving, they should notify the director as soon as possible. The director will promptly evaluate the situation and attempt an informal resolution.
If the director is unable to resolve the matter, or if the student disagrees with the outcome, a grievance can be filed with the Salem State University Office for Equal Opportunity, where relevant information pertaining to the incident will be presented. A detailed overview of the grievance process is available at the OEO office 978.542.6022.
Every effort will be made to resolve the disagreement as expeditiously as possible. It is important to note that at any time during the process, a student may choose to contact the Office of Civil Rights at 617.223.9700 to seek appropriate advice and/or to file a formal complaint.
Any ADA/504 grievances that are related to employment/job-related issues, physical access, activities or events on campus should be directed to the Equal Opportunities Office.