Minimum Skills for Online Students
Are you ready for an online course? Read through the following and see how many describe you.
- I am comfortable working online.
- I am disciplined enough to meet all course requirements without direct instructor supervision.
- I have an effective place to work and study that is readily available every day.
- I have excellent time management skills.
- I know how to use my Salem State email system to send and receive email and attachments.
- I know how to open, save, and manage files, including creating and organizing folders and how to back up essential files including all coursework.
- I know the procedure for accessing the Internet through my ISP (Internet Service Provider).
- I know how to operate a web browser.
- I am very comfortable navigating around the Internet and using a variety of search engines.
- I am comfortable writing papers using a word processing application like Microsoft® Word including skills such as cutting and pasting.
- I know how to use utility software: antivirus, file compression, etc.
- I possess good keyboarding skills and can communicate naturally in an electronic "chat".
- I am able to perform basic PC system maintenance and operation.
- I understand that a computer problem is not a legitimate excuse for falling behind in class.
If you answered yes to all of these questions, you're problably ready for online learning.
Individual courses may have more involved and comprehensive requirements. Check the specific requirements for the course you are considering and assess your ability to succeed in a given course.