Welcome New and Prospective Students
This website will acquaint you with the policies and procedures necessary to receive services at Salem State University, as well as your legal rights and responsibilities. You are encouraged to contact disability services if you have any questions about the information contained on this website.
Salem State is committed to providing appropriate services and accommodations that allow self-identified students with disabilities to access all programs and activities at the university as stated in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Disability Services provides academic support to students with all types of disabilities, including, but not limited to:
- ADHD Documentation Guidelines
- Blind/Visual Impairment Documentation Guidelines
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing Documentation Guidelines
- Head Injury Documentation Guidelines
- Learning Disabilities Documentation Guidelines
- Physical Disabilities Documentation Guidelines
- Psychiatric/Psychological Disabilities Documentation Guidelines
In order for disability services to determine accommodation needs, the student must meet with a disability services counselor and request specific services and accommodations. During this meeting, we will discuss documentation, academic accommodations, and student responsibilities. Final decisions regarding academic accommodations will be made with you and your disability services counselor.
To make an appointment to discuss any accommodations that you may require during orientation, student testing, living in the residence halls, or in the classroom please contact our office:
Video Phone: 866.881.7097
Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm in the Frederick E. Berry Library and Learning Commons room 20.
We look forward to meeting you and to providing services that will assist you in having a successful academic career at Salem State. Please do not hesitate to contact the disability services office if you have any further questions.
Thank you and welcome to Salem State!
During your intake meeting, you will complete the intake data form and your documentation will be reviewed.
- Disability services will verify your eligibility and discuss what types of services and/or reasonable accommodations you may need at this time.
- Additional documentation may be requested to complete your file, or to answer questions or inconsistencies regarding your current status and the requested accommodations.
- Accommodations are determined on an individual basis.
- You are responsible to fill out an "accommodation request form" with disability services for each semester in which services are being requested.
We will also discuss "confidential accommodation approval letters," signed by you and the disability services counselor. It is your responsibility as the student to share these letters with your professors, which verify that you have registered, and have appropriate documentation on file with disability services.
- Confidential accommodation approval letters inform your instructors of your accommodations.
- Students are responsible for meeting with their professors to discuss the letter's contents.
- You will be given a form that must be signed by each affected professor, and you must return it to disability services.