New Student VA Educational Benefits Process
Apply for admission to a degree program at Salem State University.
Submit official proof of high school graduation, official transcripts from all previous institutions (if necessary), official military transcripts, SAT scores, and a resume.
If you have never used or applied for VA Educational Benefits complete an application for VA Educational Benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at gibill.va.gov.
- If you are on active duty, you must have your branch specific Education Services Officer certify your application by signing in the appropriate block.
- National Guard members must submit form DD-2384, Notice of Eligibility, along with the application for benefits. This form is available through your unit.
Please be aware the VA’s decision on your eligibility may take up to 12 weeks.
- If you are transferring to Salem State and have used your VA Educational Benefits within the last year, complete a Change of Program or Place of Training. This can be completed through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at gibill.va.gov.
Once you have been accepted to Salem State, contact the university's veterans’ affairs office to schedule an appointment. Things you should bring with you:
- Copy of submitted application for VA Educational Benefits, or Certificate of Eligibility from the VA
- DD214 Member 4, or Notice of Eligibility, DD-2384 (for National Guard Members)
- Photo Identification
Make an appointment with Bedford VA's Supported Educational Specialist, Alisa Bennett. Alisa may be reached at 781.983.2400.
Chapter 30, 1606, & 1607 (REAP) Recipients
Once your enrollment has been certified by Salem State's veterans’ affairs office for the current semester, you must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each month before you will receive your monthly benefit. To verify enrollment, go to gibill.va.gov/wave or call 1.877.823.2378.
Massachusetts National Guard
Members of the Massachusetts National Guard who wish to use the 100 percent Tuition and Fee Reimbursement Program must request a certificate of eligibility. Visit the Massachusetts National Guard for complete information.