New Student VA Educational Benefits Process

Step 1

Apply for admission to a degree program at Salem State University.

Submit official proof of high school graduation, official transcripts from all previous institutions (if necessary), official military transcripts, SAT scores, and a resume.

Apply for undergraduate admissions
Apply to the School of Graduate Studies

Step 2

If you have never used or applied for VA Educational Benefits complete an application for VA Educational Benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at

  • If you are on active duty, you must have your branch specific Education Services Officer certify your application by signing in the appropriate block.
  • National Guard members must submit form DD-2384, Notice of Eligibility, along with the application for benefits. This form is available through your unit.

Please be aware the VA’s decision on your eligibility may take up to 12 weeks.

  • If you are transferring to Salem State and have used your VA Educational Benefits within the last year, complete a Change of Program or Place of Training. This can be completed through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at

Step 3

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Step 4

Once you have been accepted to Salem State, contact the university's veterans’ affairs office to schedule an appointment. Things you should bring with you:

  • Copy of submitted application for VA Educational Benefits, or Certificate of Eligibility from the VA
  • DD214 Member 4, or Notice of Eligibility, DD-2384 (for National Guard Members)
  • Photo Identification

Step 5

Make an appointment with Bedford VA's Supported Educational Specialist, Emily Kiddy. Emily may be reached at 781.825.3913 or 


Chapter 30, 1606, & 1607 (REAP) Recipients
Once your enrollment has been certified by Salem State's veterans’ affairs office for the current semester, you  must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each month before you will receive your monthly  benefit. To verify enrollment, go to or call 1.877.823.2378.

Massachusetts National Guard

Members of the Massachusetts National Guard who wish to use the 100 percent Tuition and Fee Reimbursement Program must request a certificate of eligibility. Visit the Massachusetts National Guard for complete information.

Military Credit - VALOR Act Academic Credit Evaluation Policy

Salem State University recognizes the educational value of military education and experience and will award credit earned for military education and/or military service based on recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) and the comparability and applicability of the coursework to the student’s degree program. Institutional credit will be granted for military coursework without clear disciplinary equivalents if ACE guidelines for college credit exist. Students will be required to submit official military transcripts to Transfer Services prior to the evaluation and awarding of credit. Salem State recognizes the value of other prior learning experiences gained by military personnel, and students wishing to obtain credit by examination and/or life experience will follow the established policy of the institution for the granting of such credit. Contact Ted Serozynsky, veterans' affairs coordinator, at 978.542.6082 for assistance.

Military Transcripts

Joint Services Transcript (Army, Navy or Marine) 
Air Force (CCAF) 
Coast Guard (CGI)