Welcome to your first year at Salem State University!
First Year Experience Office, 100A Meier Hall
Your first year at Salem State University is an opportunity to explore, learn and grow. The first year experience office (FYE) is here to ensure that you have access to the resources and support you will need to successfully navigate the transition from high school to university life. We encourage you to take advantage of the numerous opportunities available to you at the university: challenge yourself to try something new, step outside your comfort zone, ask questions, and share your experiences with us so that we can improve our offerings for future students.
Your first-year experience will lay the foundation for your continued success in academic, intellectual, social, and civic endeavors throughout your undergraduate career. Whether it's your first class, meeting your first new friend, joining your first student organization, or any other number of "firsts," the FYE office is here to help.
- Are you an incoming student who hasn't yet joined our online communities? On Facebook, first-year students should join the Class of 2020 page and transfer students should join the Transfer Connections page. We answer questions, share important information, and remind you about upcoming deadlines and events...these pages will make your transition into and through your first-year that much easier!
- Think about joining FAB, The First-Year Advisory Board, which coordinates social activities and makes recommendations to improve the first year at the university.
- Strive to achieve a 3.5 GPA for your fall semester so we can invite you to join Alpha Lambda Delta, the national first year honor society.
- Attend one of our Student Success Series programs to gain valuable skills to be more successful in the classroom and beyond.
- Did you lose your orientation webkey? You can still access the information online!
- Or just stop by our office (Meier Hall, 100A) if you need assistance with anything. We are here to make sure that YOUR firsts matter!
- Join us for the Viking Video Chat Series - a live webinar where you can ask questions to our current First Year Mentors about what it's like to be a student at Salem State University. Our next chat is on Wednesday June 29 from 7pm - 8pm. You must register in order to receive instructions for how to view the webinar. Students can register for the webinar here.
- Congratulations to the 227 first year students who were inducted this spring into Alpha Lambda Delta, the first year honor society. We are very proud of your accomplishments.
- First year seminar options for Fall 2016 are available! Check out all the amazing seminars we're offering. Students who did not pre-select their seminar before June 1 will select a seminar at orientation.
- Check out our Wordpress Blog - FirstYearSuccess for what the university experience is like here at Salem State University. Our staff and upper-class mentors have lots of advice to help you navigate your first year.
Please do not hesitate to call on us if you have any questions or concerns--and like our Facebook page: First Year Success at Salem State or follow us on Twitter: FYSuccess. They are great resources where you can ask questions, learn some new tips for success, and stay connected throughout your first year!
With Viking Pride!
Director, first year experience
First Year philosophy
Salem State University is committed to ensuring a first-year student experience that facilitates the transition from high school to college and that actively encourages students' involvement in the entire range of opportunities available in the college community. The first year experience will lay the foundation for student success in academic, intellectual, social, and civic endeavors in not only the student's first year but in each year until graduation.
We want your feedback
Using the feedback form, we invite you to tell us about your experiences, whether as a first-year student, a parent or guardian of a first-year student, or as a faculty, staff member or administrator involved in assisting students succeed during their first year at Salem State. If you wish to be contacted directly about your comments, please provide a contact email address or phone number in the fields provided and someone will be in touch with as soon as possible.