Welcome to your first year at Salem State University!
Your first year at Salem State University is an opportunity to explore, learn and grow. The first year experience office (FYE) is here to ensure that you have access to the resources and support you will need to successfully navigate the transition from high school to university life. We encourage you to take advantage of the numerous opportunities available to you at the university: challenge yourself to try something new, step outside your comfort zone, ask questions, and share your experiences with us so that we can improve our offerings for future students.
Your first-year experience will lay the foundation for your continued success in academic, intellectual, social, and civic endeavors throughout your undergraduate career. Whether it's your first class, meeting your first new friend, joining your first student organization, or any other number of "firsts," the FYE office is here to help.
- Think about joining FAB, The First-Year Advisory Board, which coordinates social activities and makes recommendations to improve the first year at the university.
- Strive to achieve a 3.5 GPA for your fall semester so we can invite you to join Alpha Lambda Delta, the national first year honor society.
- Attend one of our Student Success Series programs to gain valuable skills to be more successful in the classroom and beyond.
- Did you lose your Orientation Webkey? You can still access the information online!
- Or just stop by our office (Meier Hall, 100A) if you need assistance with anything. We are here to make sure that YOUR firsts matter!
- WE'VE MOVED! The FYE office is now located in Meier Hall - 100A. We are now just around the corner and down the hall from Dunkin Donuts...come check out new space!
- All incoming first year students will receive a free academic planner from the first year experience office - stop by the FYE office to pick yours up before we run out.
- Mark your calendar for Monday September 22 at 11 am for the Meet your Major event. All first year and new transfer students will meet with their academic departments to find out who their advisor is, learn more about the requirements and opportunities, and connect with each other. This event is mandatory.
- Check out our Fall 2014 FYE newsletter [PDF] for some great tips on making your transition to Salem State a positive one or look around our Wordpress Blog - FirstYearSuccess. Our staff and upper-class mentors have lots of advice to help you start out right.
Please do not hesitate to call on us if you have any questions or concerns--and like our Facebook page: First Year Success at Salem State or follow us on Twitter: FYSuccess. They are great resources where you can ask questions, learn some new tips for success, and stay connected throughout your first year!
With VIKING PRIDE!
Director, first year experience
First Year philosophy
Salem State University is committed to ensuring a first-year student experience that facilitates the transition from high school to college and that actively encourages students' involvement in the entire range of opportunities available in the college community. The first year experience will lay the foundation for student success in academic, intellectual, social, and civic endeavors in not only the student's first year but in each year until graduation.
We want your feedback
Using the feedback form, we invite you to tell us about your experiences, whether as a first-year student, a parent or guardian of a first-year student, or as a faculty, staff member or administrator involved in assisting students succeed during their first year at Salem State. If you wish to be contacted directly about your comments, please provide a contact email address or phone number in the fields provided and someone will be in touch with as soon as possible.