2013 Group Exercise Programs
Summer Session ll begins Monday, July 8, 2013. A Wellness Center membership is required prior to class participation.
Fitness Bingo Challenge and 15 Minute Cardio Challenge
The Fitness Bingo Challenge will begin on Monday, June 24 and end on Sunday, July 28. You will be challenged to complete your BINGO CARD of 35 health and wellness activities. All completed BINGO CARDS will be eligible for our raffle of fabulous prizes. Please pick up your Bingo card and details at the wellness center on or after June 24. You will not be disappointed, you will see and feel a positive change after completing all 35 activities.
The Wellness Center 15 Minute Cardio Challenge is a fitness event in which anyone can participate; everyone likes a little "friendly competition." The purpose of this event is to push you above and beyond your regular workout routine (we all get stuck in an exercise rut sometimes). The cardio challenge lasts four weeks beginning June 24th. Wk. 1 upright bike, Wk. 2 treadmill, Wk. 3 rowing machine, and Wk. 4 is the stairmaster. You will be challenged on how far can you can go in 15 minutes. Everyone that completes a challenge will be eligible to be entered in our raffle. Details on this competition will be available at the front desk of the wellness center.
Ever wonder how many miles you have walked, run or biked? How many stairs have you climbed or meters you have rowed? Sign up for the cardio club and record your distance on our Wellness Center program card. At the end of each month, we will post your results and help motivate you to continue your efforts to become more fit. Please contact Joe Dunn for more information and how you can get started.
Biggest Loser (WINNER!)
Make a commitment to improve your health and fitness. You will be asked to record your fitness activities, maintain a food journal and weigh in once a week to go over your wellness goals. Please contact Joe Dunn Sr. for a personal consultation to begin the program.
Healthy Start (50+)
Over 50 and new to exercise? Fitness Trainer Joe Dunn Sr. will guide you through a sensible and fun exercise program to help you reach your fitness goals.
Monday, 8:15 to 8:45 am ( Summer Session l only )
Cardio tennis is a heart pumping fitness program for all levels of tennis players. Registration is required with a minimum of 6 participants. Please contact Coach Joe Dunn Sr. to sign up.
Thursday, 8:15 to 9 am (Summer Sesssion l only )
This is a 30-minute intense fitness program that will teach you the basic boxing skills while training on the heavy bag, jumping rope and using the medicine ball for strengthening your core.
Tuesday, 8:15 to 8:45 am (Summer Session l only )
This class is formatted as a cardio "boot camp" which may include drills, jogging, weights, agility and plyometrics for an awesome workout to get you fit.
Monday and Wednesday, 7:15 to 7:45 am
Tuesday and Thursday, 5:15 to 5:45 pm
Gliding Boot Camp
Traditional format boot-camp class with an added twist: use of the gliding discs. The discs gracefully move with your body so you get a powerful yet low impact workout.
Wednesday, 5:15 to 5:45 pm
This class offers 10 minutes of cardio, 10 minutes of muscle work, and 10 minutes of stretch. For those who would like an all around workout in 30 minutes.
Friday, 8:00 to 8:30 am
This class targets the muscles of the back, hip and abdominals, giving you a total core workout. Emphasis is on proper breathing, concentration and quality of execution of exercises.
Monday and Wednesday 12:15 to 12:45 pm
Tuesday, 6 to 6:30 pm
Cardio Kick Boxing
High energy filled workout that uses jabs, hooks, uppercuts and kicks set to body pumping music.
Monday, 6 to 6:30 pm
This class is designed to shape, tone, sculpt, and define all the major muscle groups of the body.
Friday, 12:15 to 12:45 pm
Monday, 5:15 to 5:45 pm
Stretch and Balance
This class will help you to reduce your risk of injury and increase your range of motion.
Monday and Wednesday 8:00 to 8:30 am
Thursday, 6 to 6:30 pm
A Latin music style cardiovascular work-out guaranteed to get your heart rate pumping! Non-marking dance shoes required, no sneakers or street shoes.
Tuesday and Thursday, 12:15 to 12:45 pm
Wednesday, 6 to 6:30 pm
Pick one, two or all of the assessments below to establish your fitness baseline. Repeat the assessment(s) every few months to track progress and see the benefits of regular exercise! Call 978.542.6551 to schedule your one-hour appointment.
- Body Composition*: Using skinfold measurements, we calculate your body’s percentage of fat mass and fat-free mass. This is more commonly known as “% body fat”.
- Blood Pressure*: Feel free to use our blood pressure machine anytime! If you’d like to add this to your appointment, we’ll take time to explain to you what your number means and how you can improve your blood pressure.
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness*: You have a few different testing options for assessing your cardiorespiratory fitness. Two are maximum effort tests (either a 1-mile walking test or a 1.5 mile running test) and the third is a submaximal effort three-minute step test.
- Circumference Measurements: These are girth measurements. You might be interested in knowing circumference measurements as a guide to managing your weight; or you might want to know circumference measurements so you can monitor muscle growth (hypertrophy).
- Flexibility: Using the common sit-and-reach test, we measure the flexibility of your hamstrings and other muscles in your hip/lower back.
- Muscle Endurance*: The two most common tests for muscle endurance are the one-minute crunch test (assesses abdominal muscle endurance) and the push-up test (assesses upper body muscle endurance). For the crunch test, you are challenged to do as many crunches as you can in one minute; for the push-up test, you have unlimited time to do as many push-ups as you can while maintaining proper form.
- Muscle Strength*: Curious to know your One-Rep Max (1RM) on the bench press or leg press? Add this test to your appointment.
- Waist to Hip Ratio: This mathematical equation is the circumference of your waist divided by the circumference of your hips – and is an important predictor of the health risks associated with obesity.
*IMPORTANT: For these tests, you will need to follow these pre-test instructions:
1. Abstain from prior eating (>4 hours)
2. Abstain from prior strenuous exercise (>24 hours)
3. Abstain from prior caffeine ingestion (>12-24 hours)
4. Abstain from prior nicotine use (> 3 hours)
5. Abstain from prior alcohol use (>24 hours)
Personal Program Design
Tired of the same routine? Unsure if your workout is effective? New to working out? Schedule an appointment with one of our qualified exercise technicians who will design a well-rounded workout for you based on your personal goals. A fitness assessment is recommended prior to setting up a program design appointment, but not required. Call the front desk for more info at 978.542.6551.