First Time Users
- Make a separate entry for each activity you participate in during your time as a student.
- You may even have multiple entires for the same activity, as you may hold different positions or develop a different set of skills over time.
- Civic engagement activities include community service, service-learning and volunteer opportunities.
- You may be involved in civic engagement activities as a result of participation in an athletic team or student organization. Please list all civic engagement activities (i.e., community service, service-learning, and/or volunteer opportunities) as a separate entry under the category of civic engagement activities.
- Use the “SEND EMAIL TO ACTIVITY ADVISOR" link to communicate with your activity advisor while creating your portfolio.
- Use the numbering system available under the “ADD SKILLS” button to arrange the order of the skills as desired.
Step by Step
- Log on to your Navigator account. Select the link to My Activities Portfolio.
- Click the “ADD A NEW ACTIVITY” button to enter an activity.
- Select from the “ACTIVITY CATEGORY” drop down menu to choose the type of activity. Options include athletic teams, civic engagement activities, club sports, creative arts, honor societies, internships, intramurals, leadership training and development, student leadership positions, student organizations, study abroad programs, and university committees.
- Select from the “ACTIVITY” drop down menu to choose the specific activity.
- Select “PRINT ON PORTFOLIO” to choose an activity that you wish to be printed on your official portfolio. Do not select this button if you do not wish the activity to be printed on your official portfolio.
- Select the appropriate university faculty or staff member who is responsible for overseeing this particular activity from the choices available under the “activity advisor” drop down menu.
- Select the “ADD ROLES OR POSITIONS” button located below the roles or positions chart in the portfolio.
- Use the “FROM MONTH, FROM YEAR, TO MONTH, TO YEAR” drop down menu to record the beginning month and year and ending month and year for the activity.
- Use the “ROLE OR POSITION” drop down menu to select the role or position that is accurate. For example, select “member” or “secretary” or “president”, as appropriate. Note that some roles are specific to certain organizations which may require the student to scroll through different options.
- Use the ACCOMPLISHMENTS box to provide details about what you accomplished in this particular position. Entering details is optional. However, you may wish to provide additional details of your accomplishments to personalize your portfolio. Some examples of accomplishments that might be listed for different activities are listed below:
- Increased membership by 30 percent
- Doubled the number of weekend programs presented
- Raised over $500 for HAWC, local non-profit organization serving North Shore women and children
- Named team MVP
- High scorer for MASCAC Tournament
Ask yourself, what have you done in this position that would distinguish you from others and decide whether you would like to include this information, and if so, how to best word it.
- Select the “ADD SKILLS” button to identify skills you may have developed during this involvement opportunity. Note that the entry of skills information is optional, but if you do add skills you must explain how and why you feel you have developed these skills (you will be prompted for information).
- Select the “SKILL CATEGORY” button to show the different types of skills. Skills include oral and written communication skills, group communication and teamwork skills, organization and management skills, data management and analysis skills, creative arts skills, cross-cultural skills, professional and personal development skills
- Select the “SKILL SET” drop down menu to check off those skills that you have achieved through this activity. Select “ADD TO LIST” to save these skills. Select “RETURN” to go back to the Activity Entry page or select “SKILL SET” to select a different skill set and identify different individual skills achieved for this activity.
- Within the “ADD SKILLS” section, students may rate themselves on each skill selected using the “STUDENT’S RATING” drop down menu. Advisors may also rate the student using the “ADVISOR’S RATING” drop down menu. This section is optional.
- If you have selected skills related to this activity in the “ADD SKILLS” section, answer the three prompts to explain how you developed these skills. This section is required if you identify any skills in this section.
- Move the activity to the next stage of the process by clicking the “SUBMIT for REVIEW by ACTIVITIES ADVISOR.” Note that once an activity has been sent to an advisor for review, any future changes to the content of the activity must be approved by the advisor again. Please proofread your entries carefully before sending them to your advisor for review.
- Although students may add to their portfolios at their convenience, activities advisors are encouraged to review portfolios at the conclusion of each semester. During this time, activities advisors will review portfolio submissions and either approve them or return them to students for further review. Activities Advisors may provide comments in the “COMMENTS FROM ACTIVITY ADVISOR” box.
- Use the “SAVE and EXIT” button or the “SAVE” button to preserve the content entered into the portfolio. The "SAVE and EXIT" button will save the content created and then exit the user from the Activity Entry page, while the "SAVE" button will simply save the information generated. The “CANCEL” button will close the Activity Entry page without saving changes that have been made since the last SAVE was done.
- Click “Create Draft PDF Copy of Activities Portfolio” to produce a copy of the portfolio that you can review. The Activities Portfolio lists the entries submitted organized chronologically. Click “Create Draft PDF Copy of Skills Portfolio” to produce a copy of the portfolio that you can review. The Skills Portfolio lists the entries submitted organized by skill category.
When you select “Create Draft PDF Copy of Activities [or Skills] Portfolio,” the program will ask ‘do you want to show skills ratings on the draft copy?’ If you have used the self-rating option to assess your own skills or if your activities advisor has provided you with ratings of your skills, then you may choose whether or not to list these ratings as part of a draft copy as you respond to this question.
- Click “Create Official PDF Copy of Activities Portfolio” or “Create Official PDF Copy of Skills Portfolio” to produce a copy of your portfolio as authenticated by Salem State University, including approved activities only.
Students, faculty and staff may contact the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 978.542.2036 for technical questions about the My Activities Portfolio program.
Students, faculty and staff may contact the student involvement and activities office in Ellison Campus Center room 218 at 978.542.6438 for questions about the program itself, personnel associated with particular activities, and how to maximize the use of this tool. Such questions may include how to add new activities that are not currently part of My Activities Portfolio; how to incorporate activities involving off campus locations and/or advisors/supervisors; how to add advisors who are not currently listed in My Activities Portfolio; how to validate activities by an advisor whom is no longer available to certify your involvement; and any other questions related to the use of the program.