The emerging scholars program is a new initiative at Salem State University designed to bring together, support and motivate rising potential first year students. Participants are selected to participate after a review of admissions materials and have opportunities to sign up for one on one meetings with full-time student success coaches, participate in group meetings, attend programs and events related to achieving success in the classroom, and make new friends in a fun environment. The emerging scholars program is a tremendous opportunity to begin the first year on a positive note.
Emerging scholars goals:
- Provide an opportunity for students to intentionally influence their academic success
- Develop a sense of community for student participants
- Impart critical knowledge and skills to students for use in the classroom setting
- Increase the motivation and self-confidence regarding academic success
- Help students become better integrated with the community, learning the values of engagement and personal accountability
Students who meet the requirements for emerging scholars at the end of the fall semester (2.5 GPA and attendance at five program events/meetings) will be eligible for induction into the Alpha Omega Psi honor society. Only those students invited to join the emerging scholars program are eligible for induction.
For more information on the program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inductions for Alpha Omega Psi, the honor society for Emerging Scholars will be held on Sunday March 3, 2012 at 2 pm in Veterans Hall, Ellison Campus Center. Students will be notified in January if they have met the eligibility for membership.
Spring 2013 Schedule:
February - workshops on financial aid and completing your FAFSA applications
March - workshops on time management skills, academic and registration assistance
April - training sessions for 2013-2014 peer mentors
May - end of the year celebration