The Center for International Education coordinates and implements orientation for all incoming international students. This program provides new foreign students with tools to assimilate into the U.S. environment.
This orientation is in addition to your freshman or transfer orientation that you must attend to assist you in registering your courses. To sign up for your freshman or transfer orientation, please visit Navigator.
International student orientation will be held on Thursday, January 15, 2015 from 10 am to 4 pm in Marsh Hall 210 on Central Campus.
This orientation is mandatory for all international students who will be taking credit classes. The following topics are discussed:
1. Immigration: new regulations, working on- and off-campus, getting social security numbers and a driver’s license, and how to maintain your immigration status
2. The U.S. educational system and the new general education curriculum at Salem State
3. Cross-cultural communication and relationships: culture shock, American values, stereotypes, and intercultural communications
4. Campus Resources – you will meet representatives from many departments on campus, learn about the functions of these departments and learn how these departments can ease your transition to the university: health and health insurance information, safety/campus parking information, financial, tuition payment systems
5. Email set-up, campus tours, ClipperCard (student ID)
6. Campus tour
Staff will help you to open a bank account, and can also direct you where to go shopping for items you need upon arrival.
For more information, contact the Center for International Education (978.542.6351).