Transfer Orientation: The Next Step Program
Welcome to Salem State! We hope that you’ll find a home here where you can succeed and graduate!
As a new transfer student, we recognize that you’re not a first year student any longer and as such we’ve designed a different program to welcome you to campus: The Next Step. You may already be college savvy, but this program will help you become Salem State savvy too, focusing on the most essential tasks to get you started.
All new day transfers must attend a Next Step session before starting classes. Students are able to choose the session they would like to attend by signing up via Navigator.
Next Step sessions will be held on:
- Friday, June 9
- Monday, August 21
- Wednesday, August 30 (Morning session only)
Morning sessions begin with check-in at 8 am in the main lobby of Central Campus Classroom Building/Bertolon School of Business, ending by 2 pm.
The afternoon session begins with check-in at 11 am in the main lobby of the Central Campus Classroom Building/Bertolon School of Business and ends by 5 pm.
For parking and directions, visit salemstate.edu/maps. If using GPS, enter 71 Loring Avenue, Salem.
First Year Seminar
Transfer students entering with fewer than 15 credits will take a first year seminar as part of their fall academic course load. This three credit required seminar offers students an opportunity to study an interesting and engaging topic with one of Salem State University’s outstanding faculty members. Transfer students will select their first year seminar session at their orientation session. Details regarding the various seminar options will be sent to students along with information on how to register for a particular seminar. If you have questions, contact the first year experience office at 978.542.2618 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Things to bring with you
- Completed health and immunization forms for health services. If you are not able to locate the forms that were mailed to you, visit salemstate.edu/newstudents.
- A state or government issued photo ID to get your ClipperCard, the Salem State student ID.
- If you have not submitted your final official transcript with your spring 2017 grades, an official transcript in a sealed envelope with your final grades and/or degrees.
If you wish to apply for an on-campus job, visit salemstate.edu/seo to learn more about the process.
Residence hall students
These items are required before you can move in to the residence hall:
1. Pay your balance in full or be on an approved payment plan and/or have sufficient financial aid to cover your balance (includes completing all aid related items on your to-do list on your navigator account).
To request special accommodations, please contact disability services at 978.542.6217 or TTY 978.542.7146.
Readmits and Internal Transfers (evening to day)
Please contact the Center for Academic Advising at 978.542.7049.
For More Information
If you have any questions about orientation, please contact enrollment management at 978.542.7455 or email@example.com.